Sunday, March 25, 2007

25th.March is Malaysia's Police Day .

Today the 25th.of March , is Police Day .It is the 200th year since the Declaration of the Police Charter in Penang in 1807 .It is the day to be reminisced by all Policemen and ex policemen .It can also be regarded as a big and important day for the Policemen in Malaysia .Every year we would renew our oath of allegiance to the Police and the country .After being with the Police for almost 34 years , I cannot help but feel as if I am still part of it, eventhough I have retired for almost 4 years now .Normally ,on this day when I was the Officer in charge of a Police District , I would inspect the Guard of Honour and witness the march past of my policemen and officers, together with members of the public who were invited to attend the celebration . I would then stand on the dais and read the 'Perutusan Ketua Polis Negara' followed by the taking of oath ceremony . Then we would have a sumptious breakfast together .Other activities would ensue which normally last for a month .As OCPD I would be very busy .Those were the good old days .
Although there were ups and downs during my 34 years of career in the Police , I have no regrets joining it . The Police had given me a career opportunity by which I rose from the rank of Inspector to be a senior officer ( Assist.Commissioner ) which I had not dreamt of when I was a kid . With the emoluments from the Police, I managed to feed my family well and educate my four children of which all have gone to universities . When I retired I was also given a generous gratuity and pension, enough for me to sustain till the rest of my life .
However towards the end of my career , I was a bit sore with the senior officers in power then ,with the way they treated me . A number of occassions I was denied my promotions just because I was not in their good books .By that I mean I refused to be their henchmen into activities that were against my principles . I would rather be not promoted than be doing something that was against the norms and religion of which I would be answerable to God .During that era, promotion was not based on merit .Cronyism was the game of the day .( perhaps cronyism was inherited from the government of the day that rule the country ). Hardwork and and dedication were not to be reckoned . Many frustrated officers opted for early retirement .I too nearly did the same .But love of the uniform and police work held me back till my compulsory retirement in 2003 .
The Police of today is no more like the good old days .Public perceptions is at it's lowest ebb.The public do not respect the Police like they did before and it is always often looked with suspicions .It all began in 1998 during the Anwar debacle when the Police were too eager to protect the government in power of the day . Peaceful demonstrations were met with harsh and violent actions . The Police were not sensitive towards the feelings and expectations of the public .Violations of human rights were the order of the day .
It is high time that the Police should change with times .The Police should be cautious and professional in their actions .After all peaceful demonstrations are allowed as stated in the Federal Constitutions .Why should the public be denied of an avenue to express their dissatisfactions with the government ? They are also trying to safeguard our interests including that of the poorly paid policemen when they voiced up their oppositions to the imposition of tolls and price increases of petrol etc. The Police should not treat the demonstrators as their enemy . They should only take action when there is a disturbance of the peace . How are the Police to gain the confidence and cooperation of the public ,which is a very essential element to ensure Police success, if it continues the antagonizing policy . It is heartening to see as shown in the TV ,how the Police in Korea , France ,Germany and many developed countries handled the demonstrators .They did not retaliate even to the extent they were thrown with hard objects .They are very professional .I do not know when our PDRM would regain that standard again ?

No comments: