Sunday, June 29, 2008

Old colleagues - turning back on retirees .

On 28th.June 2008 we ( daughter Farin , my mother and my wife ) went to Ipoh ( Pekan Razaki ) to attend a wedding kenduri of my cousin's daughter . We left Klang at about 9.30 am . and expected to reach our destination in 2 hours . Since this was our first visit to my cousin's place we encountered a minor difficulty in locating the place . We had to stop and made enquiries a few times before we finally find the place .We reached the place at about 1.30 pm. Pekan Razaki was actually a satellite town within Ipoh city , which I believe was formally a mining area . The houses consisted of medium cost bungalows built on lots sold to earlier settlers in the area , terrace houses and flats . There were also some shops . My cousin's house was one of the double storey terrace houses .
There I had the opportunity of meeting another cousin of mine Malek, who hailed from Taiping ,whom I have not met for more than 40 years . He was a former Secretary of the Majlis Perbandaran Taiping . He retired about 12 years ago and since then settled down in Taiping . He was an icon to us in our big family that time because he was the first from our family to graduate from the University. When my daughter Eileen was studying at MRSM Taiping in the late 1990s I had tried to locate this cousin's house in Taiping but failed . I am very thankful to God for finally I met him . Had I not attend this wedding kenduri I would not have met him .I also met another distant relative who came from Kuantan whom I have not for some years .He was our former neighbour when we were staying at Kg.Simpang Tiga Rungkup , Bagan Datok , Perak . When we were boys we used to go to the forest near our houses to trap birds and to go swimming at the streams nearby . Both of us are old now and like most people we are grandfathers today .Time runs fast and I feel it is even faster each day passes today . I have to catch up with the speed of time , otherwise I would be running out of time .
Now a days I make it a point that I must attend all wedding invitation especially those from realatives . Normally I would meet realatives whom I have not met for many years at these finctions .Thus we could renew our realationships and reminisce our old days . Those days when I was working I was kept busy with work as if it was all that matters . Now I realised that relatives are more important because when we retire all the friends and office colleagues whom we were once close to abandon us . I have seen and witness this on many occassions . They even do not attend our invitations for our kenduris . Recent proof was this cousin's wedding kenduri . She was Principal of a well known boarding school in Perak while her husband , a well known voluntary worker and yet not many people attended the kenduri . If it was not for the support from relatives ,attendance to the kenduri would have been very dismal .
We had to shelve our earlier plan to return home via Sabak Bernam ( where my mother wanted to take a look at her house ) because our daughter in-law's parents from Penang were coming to our house to visit their newly borned grand daughter . Before coming home we stopped at my wife's niece house in Shah Alam to inquire about the parcel from US sent by my sister in-law . We reached home at about 7.00 pm but by then our daughter in-law's father already left our house because he was in a hurry a catch a bus to Penang at KL terminal . However his wife stayed behind to spend the night at our house .

No comments: