Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This year's Chinese New Year - modest one .

As expected this year's Chinese New Year is a quiet one .This is probably due to the slow in the economy in the country. Contratry to the government's claim that the economy is vibrant, most of the people thinks otherwise . Perhaps it it true that the country's export has reached a RM trillion , but it is only the exporters who are getting the benefits . Ordinary people such as the domestic traders , farmers , factory workers , government servants and pensioners like me have nothing to benefit at all . The government is using that figure to appease the people so that they would not pressure them to demand anything that is hard for them to fulfill .It is also to sustain the ' feel good ' situation , perhaps in preparation for the next General Election. These are positive signs of an impending General Election . They have to hold the election before April 2008 in order to deny Anwar Ibrahim taking part in the election . ( He would then be eligible to do so ) . Most Malaysian Chinese are celeberating the New Year in a modest way . This could be felt by the less in the burning of fire crackers .I had the opportunity to visit an old friend ,Mr. Tan Poh Sim of Kg.Batu Belah ,Klang on Chinese New Year with my wife and Farin . He too shared the same sentiment as mine .
In the afternoon we went to Kajang to attend the engagement ceremony of Encik Agus's second daughter .There I met a few old acquaintances , relatives of Encik Agus . Some of them were surprised why I have not taken up any employment . They even suggested that I get myself involved into business or agriculture. I told them at this age I could not afford to take any risk .I rather keep whatever I have saved than take an uncalculated risk .
On Monday we sent Farin to the Bus Station . She went back to her college at UTM Skudai earlier in order for her to prepare for her exams . It has been her practice to go back to campus earlier than others . I am quite pleased with her performance in her studies . I monitor her performance via the UTM's website and so far she has been maintaining her CGPA at above the 3.00 point . Although she is a MARA express programme student and being one of the youngest student of her class , she is able to be among the top student . This proves that hard work would bring success to anyone .
Today was a very lonely affair for us. Only the two us were left in the house . Azman and his wife had gone to Malacca and Port Dickson for a holiday and Alisya had gone back to Shah Alam.I told my wife not to cook anything . We had our meals in town .