Saturday, May 22, 2010

Family gathering turned into bizarre rituals .

Coming back to the ' saka story ' ( bad spirit or satan ) . We had a family gathering in Port Dickson on 14th May 2010 . My younger brother Muttakin whose wife was the PRO of Majlis Perbandaran Petaling Jaya booked 3 MPPD apartments in Port Dickson . My mother ,brothers and sisters stayed in those apartments while I and my family stayed in our own family's apartment , a few KMs away . Without my prior knowledge my brother in-law Makmor ,had arranged for the so called a ' faith healer ' or ' bomoh ' to perform some rituals for the so called ' saka cleansing ' . because according to the bomoh all of us had been struck by the ' sakas ' and he needed to perform certain rituals to rid us off from the ' sakas/bad spirits/satans ' .


For that each family had to make available 3 metres of white cloth , some kenanga flowers , some lime fruits and some ayam kampong eggs . In the beginning I was against such activities which could lead us to ' syirik ' /loosing track from the true path of Islam . However my brothers and sisters persuaded us to join them since we were already there . In the end I relented although deep inside my heart I was against it . I also told my wife that we would just follow them just out of respect for my mother who was also present then . I did not want to hurt her feelings .


At about past midnight all of us except my mother who was incapicitated were told to go the sea off our hotel appartments . Each of us were given a bottle of water mixed with the kenanga flowers .Then we were told to gulp the water and swallowed it in our throat while submerged under the sea water . The same process were also made for the ayam kampong eggs and lime water - 3 process in all . The ' bomoh ' chanted some doa after everything was finished . It looked silly . I was slightly ashamed and quickly left the place back to our apartment . Luckily there was no one else except for our family .


From the above experience I noticed there are still quite a number of us who believe everything the so called ' bomoh ' tell us . The religion too accept the fact that there are evil spirits and satans in this world . This is further aggravated by many medical practitioners who accept the fact that there are unknow sickness/diseases which cannot be diagnosed by modern medicines .
I just do not know whom to blame for this situation .

No comments: