Monday, February 14, 2005

We could only plan , He disposes .

I was flipping through the pages of ' The Star ' today and by chance my eyes was attracted to the column - 'Orbituaries' , where was shown a photo of some one I knew .He was Mr.Lau Yew Chong a former Superintendant of Police . He passed away on 12th.February 2005 in Petaling Jaya at the age of 73.
I knew Mr.Lau Yew Chong about 30 years ago in Segamat ,Johor where I was then a young Police Inspector while Mr.Lau Yew Chong was the OCPD of Segamat ( Officer in charge of Police District ).He was then of the rank of DSP ( Deputy Superintendant of Police ).He was a good boss who guided his officers well .I remember some time in 1973, I was so shocked and panicked when one prisoner whom we were interrogating jumped over the office railings on the 1st.floor and fell to the ground. He broke one of his legs .( Luckily he didn't kick the bucket ).When I informed him of the incident he coolly told me not to worry and he taught me how to prepare the report so that none of us would be blamed for the incident. He was with us for a about 2 years only after which he was transferred to Kuala Lumpur .
I met Mr.Lau Yew Chong again in 1982 in KLang where he was then the Deputy OCCI ( Deputy Officer in Charge of Criminal Investigation ) of Selangor .The Selangor HQ then was in Klang-the building next to the present Post Office .I was then the Deputy OCPD (Admin.) of the District of Klang with the rank of ASP while Mr.Lau was a Superintendant .Not long after that he retired .
I met Mr.Lau Yew Chong for the third time in Petaling Jaya where he was working as a Security Manager at Yeo Hiap Seng Sdn.Bhd.,(a factory that produce bottle/packet drinks) , in 1993.I was then the Deputy OCPD of Shah Alam with the rank of Superintendant.I went to see him because I wanted his company to sponsor publishing our pamphlettes on Crime Prevention. He was very helpful and the company agreed to sponsor us .After that I loose contact with him .
This morning I was stunned for a while after reading about him who passed away 2 days ago.At first I could not beleive it that it was his photo that appeared in the newspaper .A second and third look at it , I realised that it was really him .It was stated that his age was 73 .Well if that is the case may be it's time for him to go .He manage to taste his pension for about 18 years .
Then I was thinking about myself .Time seems run very fast now a days .Soon my time will also come .But , oh God , please do not take me away because my family still need me and I still have many things to accomplish.I want to see our new house in Klang completed.I want to go on a world tour .I want to see my children successfully graduate from universities and I want to see them getting married .I also want to see my grandchildren growing up and I want to go on a second Haj pilgrimage with my wife .But most importantly I want to study my religion (Islam)in depth ( which I am doing it at the University of Malaya ), be a religious person and be ready to face God almighty. Any way as the saying says , we could only plan , He disposes .
Today ,President Susilo of Indonesia is in Kuala Lumpur for a one day official visit .He is here to discuss with the Malaysian government on the plight of the Indonesian legal and illegal workers in this country.The illegals has been given till the end of the month to leave the country .Those arrested after that date would be arrested , repatriated and then banned from coming back into this country .The Indonesian government is worried about this because these Indonesian workers send RM millions every month back to Indonesia and it is a valuable revenue to their government .Any way the Malaysian building industry still need the workers without which the industry would become idle .

No comments: