Friday, November 12, 2004

It all depends on hardwork,determination and the will to change.

My youngest daughter Ezrin Farina is back for the Hari Raya Holiday.She came home on 10th.Nov.04 by bus all the way from Kangar where she is attending boarding school at MRSM Beseri.She is infact in the midst of her SPM exams this year.
In two days time we will be celeberating Idilfitri after one month of fasting.This year we are not going any where, not even to my own home town. We want to show our concern and support for our daughter Farin that she is not alone in her quest for success .The whole family are with her as we were with Eileen Farhana when she was sitting for her A-Level Exams.The Id festive can be celeberated any time but her SPM is only this time .Her future depends on this exams.
My late father used to remind me that education was more important than anything else.A poverty stricken family can change for the better if the children of this family obtain good education . I know of a family in my old home town who was worth nothing .They were staying in a hut with very little food to eat .When their father passed away at a very young age, life was much worst. Luckily perhaps with Allah's blessings one by one the children were admitted into boarding school. To cut it short today they are successful happy families and a few of them were even conferred Datukships.
Those days we had to work hard because we had no godfather to help us.There was no relatives in high position who could help because we were just of the same standard then .If you want a scholarship you have to perform extremely well in your studies .Otherwise you don't hope and dream .
In my case for example I was from an 'ulu' place with very little facilities and utilities .There was no electricity and piped water .The roads were made of red earth and each time a heavy vehicle passed through our hair turned 'mat salleh' look and during the rainy season we had to carry our bicycles to school instead of us riding on them .The schools had very little facilities and the teachers were often less qualified,even that they come and go .Some went for further studies or sought other jobs.The turning over was quite high .The qualified one refused to teach there .Most of us too had to work during week ends,to make ends meet .We worked as ice cream sellers, helpers in the coconut plantation ,grass cutters,shop assistants and etc . With that condition ,I managed to get grade 2 for my MCE (Malaysia Certificate of Education )and also a grade 2 for the ( Cambridge School Certificate ) .Those days we sat for double exams at one sitting . I was also among the 3 who passed the Sixth Form Entrance Exams from my school .
I had no body to help me .My parents were not educated.They did not dare face proud government officers for help or assistance .Those days the government officers were not like today .Most of them were proud like the British colonialists . My children today can depend on me .Being educated and a former senior government officer I'll go to any length to seek justice for my children . Any way I don't simply ask for help/assistance if my children don't qualify . It hurts me to see some one who is more qualified being deprived by some one who is less qualified .
Who said that the poor remains poor while the rich becomes richer ? It can be either way too . It all depends on hardwork , determination and the will to change .
Lastly but no least I wish a Happy Idilfitri to my daughter Eileen Farhana who is now in Dublin .I hope and pray that she will be successful in her medical studies and come back ready to be of service to the poor, the down-throdden and the less fortunate in the name of fullfilling our obligation to God .

No comments: