Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The wedding at the bride's place in Penang

On 19th.August 2006 we left Klang for Penang to attend my son's wedding at th bride's place. We came in 5 cars comprising of 1) me and wife and bruther in law Mahadi and wife 2) Brother in law Hassan ,wife, Pak Mail and his wife 3) En.Agos and his family 4) Brother Muttakin and his family 5) My son Azman and daughter Eileen . We reached Penang at about 3.00 pm. and checked in at the Crystal Suite ,Bayan Lepas . A long lost friend ( my former detective in Segamat ) Jamaluddin Ismail joined us .He came along with his wife ,son and daughter in law . have not met him for almost 20 years . I am thankful to my my former officer in the Narcotics Dept. in Bukit Aman ,DSP Zainal Abd.Aziz the OCPD of Serdang for helping me to trace the whereabout of this long lost friend . I am glad I could renew this frienship.
At about 5.00 pm we came to a mosque in Gelugor where the 'akad nikat' ( the solemnising of the marriage ) was to take place . There was a slight delay due to some unforeseen reasons .Any way everything went on smoothly after that .
We were then treated to a brought forward dinner at the bride's house . According to most of our entourage the curry was superb . The smell of the curry remained on our hands all day long even after it has been washed .
In the evening except for a few females who went to the bride's house to attend the ' majlis berinai' ceremony most of us did not go anywhere as we were then tired .
On 20 th.August 2006 at about 1.00 pm we checked from our rooms . We then proceeded to the bride's house for the 'majlis bersanding' . We were welcome by almost the 'mamak community' ( Indian Muslim ). Even the kompang group comprised of mamak children and the kompang songs too were very peculiar , perhaps the kompang beat were also of mamak songs. My daughter in law is not 'anak mami' . Her father and mother are Malays originally from Ulu Langat,Selangor . Her father was adopted by a mamak family from Penang . That was how she became integrated into the mamak family . Sometimes I could not believe it that I would have an extended family of mamaks . It was God's fate . We could only plan , He disposes .
The feast was a very modest one and I could understand it.They are not so well-off and I am glad that my son chose a wife not based on wealth but perhaps for true love . I know where I came from ( my parents too were not well off ) and I am glad to Allah for bestowing upon me a little bit of wealth and happiness . My religious education have always reminded me not to look down upon people who are so lucky as we are .But I hate people who are lazy and do not make any effort to help themselves .
After lunch, at about 4.30 pm we left Penang and reached home at about 8.00 pm.
On 21st.August 2006 while I was at the TESCO Klang to buy some groceries my wife called me.She was crying over the phone telling me that my brother in law Hassan had been admitted in the CCU ward at the University Hospital,P.Jaya after a heart attack while sudying at the Shah Alam Library . Immediately we drove to P.Jaya to see him at the Hospital . My sister in law Rozie ( his wife ) was not around as she was in Trengganu . We waited at the hospital for a few hours before being told by the doctor his condition was stable .We then relived and left the hospital .
For the next few days we would be very busy making preparations for my son's wedding .